Monday, March 2, 2009

Homily – March 2, 2009 – First Week of Lent - Monday

The readings today are a bit long and complex but their message is short and simple: it is summarized in the first reading from the Book of Leviticus: The Lord said to Moses, Speak to the whole assembly of the children of Israel and tell them, Be holy, for I, the Lord, your God, am holy!

This command of God involves three things: it involves the fact that our holiness already exists because we are created in the image of God who is holiness itself; it involves the fact too that the power to do holy things is already wired into us and therefore all it takes is our cooperation in using the power of the Spirit to liven the wires of holy thoughts, words and actions in us; it also involves divine justice: our brothers and sisters of the human as well as religious family ought to be able to count on us and our holiness to be secure in their own just and right and gentle way of life.

God further spells it out in Leviticus: in dealing with one another: do not steal, speak falsely of one another, nor swear falsely by God's name; do not defraud your neighbor, and cause him unnecessary difficulty or disturbance; do not act dishonestly in rendering judgment, nor spread slander among yourselves, nor standby idly while your neighbor's life is at stake; do not bear hatred for your brother in your heart, take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your fellow countryman, you shall love your neighbor as yourself! I am the Lord!

Jesus summarizes it a little differently in the gospel passage: the conclusion of the Sermon on the Mount: treat everyone as you would treat me: and you will be holy, and you will have nothing to fear on the Day of Judgment that is surely coming. It is surely coming because everyone will be accountable for how he used the precious gift of free-will that was given to them when their life began! So, whatever you did to the least of my brothers and sisters: by giving me food and drink, welcoming me as a stranger, clothing me when I was naked, visiting me when I was ill or in prison: you did for me! By this very statement Jesus identifies himself with the poor and the weak and the marginalized: and when you do things for anyone, but especially these beloved ones of mine: you do, or don't do them for me – and for this you will certainly be judged!

This Lenten Season is an excellent time to sharpen our understanding of the wonderful holiness to which we are all called, and of which we are all asked to demonstrate on a daily basis by ordinary and even extraordinary acts of loving kindness and service to our fellow men and women!

Behold, now is a very acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.

Today, if you hear the voice of the Lord, harden not your hearts!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...