Sunday, March 29, 2009

Homily – March 29, 2009 – Fifth Sunday of Lent

"Unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit (in Jesus' case it produced the forgiveness of our sins, and the possibility of everlasting life with him in heaven)" – this is from the gospel passage. "I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sin no more," – this from the first reading. "Create a clean heart in me, O God,"- this is from the responsorial psalm.

Five years ago I bought the car that I now drive. It was a bit out of my league when I bought it, I am more of a Pontiac-Man myself – but the opportunity arose for me to buy this car – by paying cash for it – and so I took the opportunity. One of the selling points was the built-in GPS navigation system with a large screen, that "talks to me" while I am on a trip; and it has a rear-view camera to help backing up; and it has adequate cargo space for larger objects that I could envision myself transporting – such as crucifixes, and Christmas trees, and keyboards and amps. It even has side mirrors that tilt down when in reverse, which is great for parallel parking; it can even wash my headlights while I am driving, if they get dirty! Oh, and it has heated seats – which came in very handy this past winter!

Now all of these things would be absolutely useless if the car just sat there and never moved; if the car just sat there and never moved because I did not take care of it; if it just sat there because I never checked the air-pressure in the tires; if I never changed the oil; if I never had whatever minor problems like brakes and transmission and power steering taken care of early-on; and windshield wipers, windshield washer fluid, new tires; if I ignored the "check-engine" light: that infernal check-engine light! Sooner or later – it would all catch up to me – and the car would become next to useless – because I just didn't bother to take care of it: to service it when it was recommended by those who know about cars.

You know where I am driving to with this analogy today, don't you?: our immortal souls are very much like our automobiles: if we service them properly, in the way recommended by the manufacturer (God), and do what needs to be done at the appointed times: then our souls will help us to cruise through life pretty much safe and sound and going in the right direction on a newly paved section of Interstate! He gave us a wonderful GPS system – it is called: conscience. It lets us know when we have gotten off the path we agreed to be on (the Catholic Christian path of life) and – if it's like my auto GPS – it won't stop yelling at me until I get back on the right path!

Tonight at St. Mary's Church we will have a combined Communal Penance Service with St. Mary's Parish. It is a "scheduled "tune-up" /maintenance event" recommended by the manufacturer. I take my Lexus all the way to Portland twice a year – to have everything checked out – and to fix what needs to be fixed. The Church recommends at least twice a year as well – at its Advent and Lenten Penance Services – to make the astounding service of the concrete, actual, verbal, direct forgiveness of our sins available: (this is our direct contact with the "fallen grain of wheat which produced amazing fruit": the very forgiveness of our sins!

Dear friends in Christ – I exhort you – to consider coming tonight – especially if you have never been to such a service as this. Everything about what you are to do will be fully explained once you get there. Do not be afraid! Even if you don't have grave or mortal sins, a regular rhythm of confession of even less serious sins will tune-up your whole life like you can't even imagine! It is almost like "detailing" a car – where the whole vehicle is made to look brand new again! this, however, is an "inner-detailing" – it makes every working part of our spiritual lives as new as the day on which we were baptized! It really is an exhilarating event – which you ought not to miss!

One day my Lexus will eventually sit in a junk yard as a pile of rusted out, twisted steel and shattered fiber-glass. That is the destiny of automobiles. But, one day, our immortal souls will end up living somewhere after our death – and after Jesus comes again as he promises! The way in which we care for and service our spiritual lives now will determine where we will be spending that eternity. Will it be in a heavenly place that is already prepared for us – or, will it be in another kind of place that is prepared for those who choose it: where there is no God, no light, no happiness, no hope, and no spiritual mechanic in sight – forever?

Why not begin a regular semiannual spiritual service regimen tonight at St. Mary's at 6:30pm? And, of course, I am always available any time you see me for Confession – before or after Mass – just think of me as you own personal "spiritual mechanic!"

God bless you!

Today, if you hear the voice of the Lord, harden not your hearts!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...