Friday, August 21, 2009

Homily – August 21, 2009 – St. Pius X

+ [I have a special interest in St. Pius X, as he is part of the apostolic line of succession in which I was ordained.] Two of the most outstanding accomplishments of this saintly Pope were the inauguration of the liturgical renewal and the restoration of frequent communion, and from childhood (age of reason, 7). He also waged an unwavering war against the heresy and evils of Modernism, gave great impetus to biblical studies and brought about the codification of Canon Law. His overriding concerning was "to renew all things in Christ" – which was his papal motto. Above all, his holiness shone forth conspicuously. From him we learn again that "the folly of the Cross," simplicity of life, and humility of heart are still the highest wisdom and the indispensable conditions of a perfect Christian life, for they are the very source of all apostolic fruitfulness. His last will and testament bears the striking sentence: "I was born poor, I have lived in poverty, and I wish to die poor."

The first reading today speaks very much of the way in which Pius X approached his work as Pope: delivering the solemn and veritable truth of the Gospel message that has been entrusted, but with gentleness and even tenderness – as a nursing mother cares for her children. And of course the gospel passage speaks to the mandate he received when he became Pope, to feed the flock of God, to feed the sheep, to feed the lambs – the words of life, and the bread of life! St. Pius X did well on all accounts. I pray that he help me do well in my vocational activities, and you in yours!

And forever we will sing the goodness of the Lord!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...