Saturday, September 19, 2009

Homily – September 19, 2009 – St. Januarius

+ Today, as we celebrate the feast of St. Januarius, who lived in the late third century, I also celebrate the sixty-first anniversary of my baptism! This is a great day of rejoicing for Church because of the martyrdom of St. Januarius, and it is a great day of rejoicing for me as I reflect on the moment when Original Sin was washed away for me, I became an adopted son of God, and a member of the Mystical Body of Christ! It was truly the completion of my "birth-day" – without baptism, I would only have been half-alive!

Januarius was born in or near Naples, Italy. (My great-grandparents were born there). He became bishop of Benevento, but then came the persecution of the emperor Diocletian. During this persecution he went to visit four imprisoned Christians in Nola, where he himself was arrested. He was tortured and thrown to the wild beasts. When the beasts would not touch him, he was beheaded and buried near the town. His relics ended up in the fifth century at the cathedral in Naples, where his blood is said to liquefy each year on this his feast day – proof of his sanctity, proof of his pastoral care, and proof of his willingness to die for Christ!

The first reading today certainly speaks of Januarius – suffering for Christ, by ill-treatment and imprisonment, but not throwing away confidence in Christ who will give great recompense. And of course, the classic gospel image of the grain of wheat falling to the earth and dying in order to produce fruit. This referred to Jesus' own redemptive passion and death and resurrection; it referred to Januarius' act of martyrdom; and it refers to the invitation that I have, I who celebrates the beginning of the life of faith today, and that we all have – to live that faith, and practice it fearlessly, come what may – for the fruits of the grain of wheat will be well worth it: eternal life on high with God!

Those who sow in tear shall reap rejoicing!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...