Friday, September 10, 2010

Homily – September 10, 2010 – Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time - Friday

+ The blindness spoken of in today's gospel passage is in reference to the teachings of Jesus. Until the disciple has his eyes opened by the teachings of Jesus, then he remains blind and is in no position to be guiding others in a moral or ethical sense. The "plank" referred to in the passage is the concept that Jesus insists on of sharing possessions with others. Those who compromise in this area may see other people's errors along these lines in an exaggerated way. Remove the plank – share your possessions and your experience of being loved by God – and you will see all things clearly – and you will be able to truly and reliably help others not to fall into a pit!

The first reading today is full of Pauline imagery that is well-known and helpful to all disciples of Jesus. I preach the gospel because I am compelled to do so and woe to me if I do not preach it. Although I am a free agent, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. Run the race in the stadium so as to win. Train yourself spiritually to win the race. And remember to stay the course or else you yourself may be disqualified at the end of the tournament – after having helped others along. These are powerful statements made by Paul. They are about true discipleship – they demonstrate the clarity of his vision of Christ and his commands – and there is evidence that there is a great love as a driving force behind it all – the love of Christ which impels him to strain on to the finish line! Paul was "once blind, but now he sees;" may any of us who are experiencing spiritual vision deficiencies find in the true, absolute and uncompromising teachings of Jesus and his Church the divine light we need to make our spiritual vision work properly.

Your word, O Lord, is truth; consecrate us in the truth.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...