Sunday, May 3, 2015

May 3 - Sunday Homily

We have encouraging and wonderful readings today. The first reading tells of how the Church - through the working of the Holy Spirit - was being built up and walking in the fear of the Lord, with the consolation of the Holy Spirit, growing in numbers. This, including the story of how, when Saul first arrives, ready to preach boldly in the name of the Lord, everyone was afraid of him because he is the very one who was just recently out to persecute and imprison newly baptized Christians.

But it was Barnabas who took charge of the situation and introduced Saul / soon to be Paul as one who is actually on their side now! And it was a marvel for all to see the change in this young upstart from Tarsus. Yes, when God has his way with someone, things change, and for the better!

St. John in the second reading today tells the community of believers that the genuineness of their Christian commitment must be expressed in deeds and in truth and not just word or speech. If we do not allow Jesus to live his life for others through us, then we can talk about it all we want, and it will mean nothing, and nothing meaningful will get done. We must practice what we preach.

Then the magnificent imagery of the gospel passage shows us the degree to which we can and must be united to Jesus in order to have a prosperous and abundant life, here and hereafter and something to share with others: our communion must be like that of a vine and branches. I am the vine, you are the branches. If you remain in me: by daily acts of belief and service to others, then you will experience my presence in a powerful way, and you will be able to ask me for anything and I will do it for you – because you are pleasing my Father and bearing much fruit.

And so at this planting time of the year, when new vines and growth are easily visible let us be reminded how intimate our relationship with Jesus and his Father is meant to be, and in fact can be, through the working of the Holy Spirit in us! A powerful force indeed! – and it will affect not only our own lives, but the lives of those God places in our path each and every day – through us!

Amen.


Secondary Homily:

I see the account of St. Paul arriving among the first Christians of Jerusalem with much boldness and enthusiasm. Actually the faithful Christians were at first afraid of him because just weeks before he was among their chief persecutors and enemies. But God had his way with Saul and rechanneled his energies for the good. And the rest is history.

Forty years ago today another young upstart was launched on the people of God – of this diocese – me, as I was ordained a priest forever. God likewise channeled my energies, talents and strengths – (though I never persecuted the people of God) – quite the contrary – I always loved them dearly, and worked for their good, and for their salvation. But I did have to learn to do it now God’s way rather than my own as did St. Paul.

Thankfully, I tried to remain on the branches as part of the root – which is what a priest is: so that the life of Christ may flow through me to those he wanted to influence, touch and become a part of. In my case, however, I was challenged with many natural born obstacles that tried to interfere with my job – but I always kept returning to my original love, my original task, my original mission: “to go after the lost sheep of the people of God” – which seems to be where I ended up most of the time: on the edges of priestly life, on the periphery, in places I would not wanted to have gone otherwise. But I can honestly say that though the scope of my ministry has been minimal – the quality of its effectiveness has been as intense as it could ever have been otherwise.


I try to practice what I preach – which is not always easy. And so on this special anniversary day, I ask for prayers of all – and I ask God’s special blessings on all who have been a part of my past – especially my parents, brothers, relatives and friends. You have all touched me, and continue to affect what I do daily. I am grateful to God that we are all part of the same vine which is Christ: may he nurture, strengthen and increase our faith and good works until the last call. And may we live forever in the kingdom prepared for us. Amen.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...