Friday, January 29, 2016

January 29 - Homily for Today

+ We know that in his parables, Jesus is talking about himself…the “kingdom” and Jesus’ own person belong together – they are one and the same reality. In the gospel passage we see that out of the seeming nothingness of something as insignificant as a mustard seed, greatness can spring. Out of David’s double sin will sprout one of the most profound expressions of sorrow for sin ever written, Psalm 51, the Miserere.

In this Holy Year of Mercy, we need to reflect often on this beautiful song of sorrow, this song of petition, this song of humility because if we too can sing it sincerely, then we are on the path of deep joy and peace in the heart of God’s everlasting mercy and forgiveness.

Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleans me.

For I acknowledge my offense,
and my sin is before me always:
“Against you only have I sinned,
and done what is evil in your sight.”

Let me hear the sounds of joy and gladness;
the bone you have crushed shall rejoice.
Turn away your face from my sins,
and blot out all my guilt.


These are magnificent words, and a worthy confession of sin.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...