Sunday, May 1, 2016

May 1 - Homily for Today

+ It may almost sound like a campaign kind of logic: Jesus in the gospel passage could be observed to be building himself up when he says there is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends – and you can see I have done that, so am I not wonderful? – will you not elect me to public office? Well, the truth of the matter is that he is more than wonderful, because he is not just “some man” who “laid down his life for his pals.” The real story here is that he is the “God-Man,” who nevertheless laid down his life in order to save his enemies (not his friends). The whole reason Jesus came to us at all is because our relationship of friendship with God was so shattered and so broken that it could never be put back together again by anyone living on this planet. So he came from “beyond the stars” to save us, forgive us our sins and throw open the gates of heaven so we could enter and rejoice with him and all others who want to be there – forever!

And so now, it is at this point, because Jesus did what he came to do: prove his love by dying on the Cross and rising again: that he can add just one more thing – to “seal the deal”: he tells us how to retain his salvific actions in our own histories and lives: remain in my love, remain in this friendship, love one another – self-sacrificially – like I did do for you, and even if needs be, in some rare cases to the point of death – you must do everything that I have commanded you to do out of love for me.

And these things are not burdensome, there are not hundreds of commands written in some lofty code as in the days of Moses: what I give you are the Beatitudes, I give you my sayings; I give you my parables; I give you my sermons. The message hidden in all these manifestations is actually very simple: GOD IS LOVE! That is what I came to tell you! And – since your baptism – you live in God – therefore you live in love – so keep that love alive – experience the great dynamic energy that it engenders – and you will be saturated in joy and peace and hope; and with St. Paul, you will be able to go out and bring this message to all nations – beginning with the people I place right around you.

It was an exciting evangelistic undertaking that would be underway in a couple of weeks’ time with the arrival of the Spirit on Pentecost – and arming his beloved apostles with faith and love – the world would never be the same!

With gratitude in our hearts, O Lord, we thank you for all you have done – in loving us so very, very much – and we recommit ourselves today to surrendering ourselves entirely to your will and care: you are God, you can never let us go astray if we cling to you, adore you and glorify you with all our hearts!

Sing joyfully to the Lord, all you lands; break into song; sing praise.


No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...