Monday, July 18, 2016

Jul 18 - Homily for Today

+ The first reading today tells us very plainly, very simply, what God expects of us: to do the right thing and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with God. This may sound simple but it is a very difficult thing to do given our propensity to interpret for ourselves what is good and right, and to make gods of ourselves. However, when we go that rebellious route, and it is a rebellious route, God does and has every right to correct us, bring us up short and redirect our steps. It is at that point that we can choose to be even more rebellious or to surrender to his ever-loving designs and plans for us. Our free-wills have been given us so that we might cooperate and not dominate; to love freely and not with subjugation. May we use them as such!

The gospel passage coincidentally tells of those who use their free-wills incorrectly, end up lost and are searching high and low for “signs” of God’s favor, signposts along a way that leads to prosperity. Jesus says the only sign you will have is the sign prophesied by Jonah being swallowed by the whale, which indicates my being “swallowed up in death and laid in a tomb” – a dastardly act that is coming – but which is the greatest sign of all because I will overcome even death itself – for I am the way (the path), the truth and the life that you are all searching for and seeking signs about! I invite you, then, to spend your time actually looking at me, listening to me, and following me – and you will have all the signs you want (especially the greatest sign of them all: the Blessed Eucharist of my Body and Blood that you will share in each Mass): and then BELIEVE; simply believe in me to be the Divine Son of God, and you will share in a prosperous and useful life here on earth and then the peaceful eternal life of the Kingdom prepared for you!

To the upright I will show the saving power of God!


No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...