Saturday, July 9, 2016

Jul 9 - Homily for Today

+ We have two powerful readings for Mass again today. The first reading is the dramatic and magnificent calling of Isaiah to be Prophet of the Most High God. Having first seeing a vision of the very heavenly throne of God – with the Seraphim rank of angels with 6 wings each ministering to God and crying to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts! All the earth is filled with his glory!” We can see how we get the Preface Acclamation for Mass, and we can also see the enthusiasm and drama with which it ought to be proclaimed!

Isaiah can see clearly his unworthiness to even be seeing such a scene – as finding ourselves truly in God’s presence always points out clearly our lowliness and our extreme sinfulness! But God has made his choice: he wants Isaiah to be his spokesman and so he does a very dramatic thing of having a seraphim take a burning ember with tongs from the altar and placing it on the tongue of Isaiah – thus burning away his sins, and preparing his speech mechanism for all ages to be a great and didactic weapon against paganism – one of the greatest of all times.

Then God says: Whom shall I send? Who will go for us – to announce the Good News of Salvation? And then purified Isaiah finds himself saying: “Here I am Lord, send me!” Here I am Lord, send me! and God sends him and the story of salvation takes on a depth of content and presentation that the world had not yet known!

Indeed, Isaiah was sent – but so too are we sent – on the day of our baptism, confirmation and ordinations. We are sent to make a difference in the world – to be Light and Truth and Peace!

The gospel passage shows us Jesus instructing a group of disciples that he sends out “in the midst of the wolves” of worldly madness! Don’t be afraid! I am sending you! Therefore, I am not only with you, but I am intimately within you! I am your strength! I am your rock of safety! I am your inspiration and your motivation! Each of you is very important and special to me! As you acknowledge me before the world – so I will acknowledge you before my Father – and He will be pleased – and you will be secure and protected in all your endeavors! So, do not be afraid of anything or anyone!

Let the Spirit speak and act through you – and all will be well!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...