Sunday, August 13, 2017

Aug 13 - 19th Sunday in Ordinary Time

19th Sunday in Ordinary Time – August 13, 2017

I –Go outside and stand on the mountain before the Lord.
R –Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation.
II – I could wish that I were accursed for the sake of my own people.
A – I wait for the Lord.
G –Command me to come to you on the water.

 There is an interesting statement that St Paul makes in the second reading today: “for I could wish that myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my own people, my kindred according to the flesh.” What is Paul saying? Can he really mean what he is saying: “accursed and cut off from Christ”?

Now Paul, we must remember was a very energetic, passionate and yes dramatic young man – and sometimes the drama shows, like in this passage. In Rome, Paul is trying to get the attention of the Jewish people – all his efforts seem to be in vain, and so out of exasperation he says: “if this would bring you to the love of Christ, then I will gladly sacrifice even my own relationship with Christ – which is dearer to him than anything at all in this world or in the next.

And, this was really a rhetorical statement: a dramatic oratorical joust: he knew he would never abandon Christ, but he also knew that this statement would have a tremendous effect on at least some of the mind-wandering, worldly minded Romans. Yes, sometimes drama is the best way to go in proclaiming the Kingdom.

What we have in the first reading however is the exact opposite of lights, action and drama – Elijah found that he could only hear the voice of the Lord speaking to his heart not in the strong and heavy wind, not in the earthquake, not in the fire – but rather in a tiny whispering sound. “Then Elijah hid his face in his cloak and went and stood at the entrance of the cave.” We must seek the inner recesses of the caves of our hearts often – many times a day - so that we can hear the still small voice of God’s Spirit whispering the love of God there – for it is our destiny to hear that wondrous voice forever in heaven.

The gospel passage is a repeat from earlier in the week. Jesus walks on water – because the confidence that he could do it was absolute – it was a gift from God and he wholeheartedly used it. Peter wanted to try it too – but quickly found out that his faith and confidence was far too centered on himself and his weakness in the face of the storm and the wind, rather than on God and his strength, and so he faltered. Jesus quickly took him by the hand and raised him up – but chastises him for his little faith.

It is comforting for us to know that Jesus raises us up when our faith is weak – but we can also expect a firm word or two from him afterwards on the necessity of praying daily for an increase of faith. Faith, faith and more faith is the true key to life with God, and life with one another – until we reach heaven where it will no longer be needed: we will possess the object of our faith and it will simply fade into the memory of our long and oft-times arduous journey to get there!


Be still – and with great faith - know that I am God – and I am your Brother, and I am your Friend.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...