Friday, May 18, 2018

May 18 - 7th Week of Easter - Friday


+ The gospel passage today, in which we see the classic scene of Jesus commissioning St. Peter to be the first leader of the band of Apostles sent into the world on Ascension Day to ensure the presence of Jesus to any who are interested, until the end of the world.

Three times Jesus asks Peter if he loves him, and three times Peter says Yes, Lord, you know that I love you! Then feed my sheep, and tend my lambs! The Church is in your care now – but the promised Spirit will be sent and the whole organization will then become a living organism – in fact, it will be a Mystical Organization – it will be my Mystical Body – to which all humanity is invited to exist it – both in this life and forever in heaven.

May and June are typically “ordination months” in the Church calendar year – it is when men studying for the priesthood are ordained at their home cathedrals by the bishops (the successor of the Apostles) they promised to serve faithfully for life. Ordination Day in this diocese of Richmond will be held on June 2, at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart. We pray for the three who will be ordained at that time. May the first fervor into which they will begin their ministry last a long time and may their productive years in the “vineyard of the Lord” continue to be fruitful until they reach my age – 70 in a few months – when they will be able to say: “I did the best I could, with what you gave me to work with, and the great people you sent me to serve!”

Come Holy Spirit with all your gift for the whole church. May we cooperate fully with your plan for the remainder of the Church’s life on this earth – no matter how long that will be. All we have is here, and now! Let each one be the best it can be! Amen.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...