Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Mar 20 - 2nd Week of Lent - Wednesday


+ Our gospel passage today challenges us all quite a bit: first, Jesus tells the Twelve that he must go to Jerusalem to suffer much and then to die by crucifixion and then be raised again on the third day. [Usually when Jesus says this: they hear the suffering part, but just don’t quite understand what this “resurrection” is all about – but they will learn – they will learn!]



In the next paragraph however, Jesus makes it clear to the mother of James and John that if suffering and even death was a part of his lot, so too would it be for those chosen to be his best friends and emissaries in the world! In fact, James would be the first of the Twelve to die a martyr’s death as a witness to the new-born faith! But as for sitting next to Jesus in the kingdom – that was not even up to Jesus to assign – but his heavenly Father: who is in charge of everything anyway!



This all means that we, as members of Christ’s Body, the Church, need to be willing to suffer and even to die for him as well, in many ways, small and great: because it is the way modeled by Jesus, it is the way recommended by Jesus, it is the way that has truth and life-everlasting attached securely to it!



My trust is in you, O Lord: I say, “You are my God.” In your hands is my destiny; rescue me from the clutches of my enemies and my persecutors.




No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...