Thursday, January 21, 2010

Homily – January 21, 2010 – St. Agnes

+ St. Agnes was a Roman girl who was only thirteen years old when she suffered martyrdom for her faith in the early 4th century. Agnes had made a promise to God never to stain her purity. Many men wished to marry Agnes, but she would always say, "Jesus Christ is my only spouse." When she refused the Governor's son, however, she was condemned to death. Even the executioners begged her to save herself, but Agnes told them: "I would offend my Spouse if I were to try to please you. He chose me first and He shall have me!"

Agnes truly found the "treasure buried in a field" and "the pearl of great price" of the gospel passage. She could not be deterred from possessing them completely – come what may!

The first reading today speaks of God calling the weak and the foolish of the world to shame the strong and to bring them to nothing. Agnes always strong to defend her faith and boasted in the Lord for the strength to do it– and she was rewarded. She gained the crown of martyrdom and a place with her groom at the eternal wedding banquet.

Just as God called Agnes to a life and death of purity and holiness, so he also calls us. May we – remaining in his love – attain our place, with Agnes, with all the saints, and with Jesus our Bridegroom when the time comes for us to go to meet him – because of our holiness of life and purity of intention!

The Lord is our shepherd; there is not one thing that we could want other than him!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...