DAILY MASS FROM ST ANN ABBEY
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
+ St Lucy was one of the most popular saints of the first centuries of the Church. Living in the early part of the fourth century, she was born in Syracuse, Sicily, to wealthy Christian parents of Greek ancestry. Raised in a pious family, she vowed her life to Christ. Her Roman father died when she was young, and her mother arranged a marriage for her. For three years Lucy managed to keep the marriage on hold. To change her mother’s mind about her desire to give her life to Christ as a virgin, Lucy prayed at the tomb of Saint Agatha for her mother’s bleeding illness to be cured, and it was cured, and so her mother agreed with Lucy’s desire to live for God.
Now, Lucy’s rejected bridegroom, denounced Lucy as a Christian to the governor of Sicily, who sentenced her to forced prostitution; but when guards went to fetch her, they could not move her even after hitching her to a team of oxen. The governor ordered her killed instead. After torture, which included having her eyes torn out, she was surrounded by bundles of wood which were set afire, but immediately went out. She then prophesied against her persecutors with a strong voice and was finally executed by being stabbed to death with a dagger.
Legend says her eyesight was restored before her death. The removal of her eyes, and the meaning of her name “light” – led to her connection with eyes, the blind, eye trouble, and the like. Through her intercession may the eyes of our faith be enlightened this day, so that we can see clearly the marvels God is doing for us, has done and will continue to do, so long as we are faithful and persistent in our Christian beliefs. May we not be afraid to put things on the line for him and his glory, as did St. Lucy of Syracuse – for he may come again as he promised at any time, and like the wise virgins of the gospel passage today, we will then be ready to go into the wedding feast with him!
This is the wise virgin, whom the Lord found waiting; at his coming, she went in with him to the wedding feast!
Posted by Father Bill at 5:33 AM
FOOD FOR PRAYER & RESOLUTION
LET US GLORIFY GOD TOGETHER using the DIVINE OFFICE of the Roman Catholic Church
Original Documents, Treatises, etc. (unless otherwise noted).
- On The Priesthood as a Compassionating Community of brothers who suffer with Christ.
- My Son, my Son - (my latest bit of original poetry)!
- A day as well, that will live in infamy! MAY WE NEVER FORGET THE DEAR CHILDREN!
- By a Priest for Priests: Prayers before and after celebrating Mass.
- A Bibliography of Works read from 2005 to the present.
- On Proclaiming The Final Call to Christian Unity
- New Created (6/22/12) Personal Priestly Crest
- Parish Visitation Prayers
- Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence - Claude Columbiere SJ
- The Glory of God - Reflection on the Ministerial Priesthood
- PAIN - I read this 50 years ago - and it has accompanied me and consoled me throughout my life thus far!
- The BEST DEFENSE against the perils facing the Catholic Church in our day: a formula for VICTORY!
- On The Defense of marriage as God gave it, and the welcome place of gay persons in the Catholic Church.
- On the Third Edition of the Roman Missal
- O Mary Immaculate - A priest's prayer of confidence to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- O Mother of Grace - A priest's prayer to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Prayers for Increase of Faith, Hope and Charity
- DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME - a personal prayer pamphlet for use at Mass - (recommended, print on 2 sides)
- The Crib - St. Ambrose Church, Richmond, ME - photographed Christmas Eve 2010 (Can you see Three Persons in the Crib?)
- The Crib and the Cross - St. Ambrose Church, Richmond, ME - photographed Christmas Eve 2010 (The is very much a "Trinitarian Image")
- Catechetical Presentation of the Nativity Display at St. Ambrose Catholic Church, Richmond ME
- Believe this...
- REFRESHER: The Proper Manner of Receiving Holy Communion in the Hand
- On Chaste Bodies and Pure Minds
- SPIRITUAL WARFARE PRAYERS - An absolute essential Series of Prayers for Every Christian Person
- On Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
- By their Fruit They Shall be Known...
- FOCUS ON [DIVINE] FRIENDSHIP - a short theology of redemption!
- Modern HIPPOCRATIC OATH - FYI
- On My Morning Exercises
- Trinity Cross - suitable for framing
- Father, Son, Spirit - suitable for framing
- Hell / Heaven - The Ultimate Decision - suitable for framing
- Morning Prayer for Everyone
- Sunday Homily Series
- ON APPLYING THE GRAND PARADIGM
- ON AN ECCLESIOLOGY OF FRIENDSHIP (print 2 sided)
- ON CHASTE BODIES AND PURE MINDS - FRIENDSHIP (print 2-sided)
- ON LIFE AND OUR REPONSIBILITY TO PROTECT AND DEFEND IT (print 2-sided)
- A LARGE BOOK - (scale to "booklet" format to print - or use two-sided printing option)
- Our Life - Now and Forever
- On Christ Mass
- On God's Name And Our Participation in It
- On the Revival of the Tridentine Mass
- On the Subject of Women Priests
- On the Fullness of Time
- Everyone is Called to Holiness
- On The Beginning of Love
- The Third Cross - Order of Spouses
- The Third Cross - Vocation to the Catholic Priesthood