DAILY MASS FROM ST ANN ABBEY
Friday, February 16, 2018
+ Today on this third day of Lent we again get preliminary instructions on how to proceed through this powerful yet simple Season. In preparing to get a newer depth of meaning for this year’s Holy Week Services of the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Jesus, as we live through our days with many Passions, Deaths and Resurrections in full drama, or smaller ones, the Church asks us to focus as soon as possible on spiritual realities: and so she recommends “fasting” as a way to zero in our GPS’s.
When we deny ourselves of food and drink, for example, the intensity of the lack, makes us more away of what truly matters in life, and we begin to sort out what kinds of “food” and “drink” are really important to us: both the kind we can see and consume, but also the kind that is to nurture us spiritually.
And so we “give up” stuff – probably stuff that we don’t really need to be consuming so voraciously anyway.
But what the Church really has in mind is found in the first reading from God’s self-revelation to us, the Scriptures, from the Prophet Isaiah: God’s spokesman: fast with a pure heart and conscience, give up cheating and stealing and lying and other acts of uncharity, but also then DO SOMETHING RIGHT GOOD AND JUST AND MERCIFUL: “break unjust fetters, especially the kind that we ourselves have imposed, share your bread in many and sundry ways with the hungry of mind, body, spirit, shelter the homeless who are wandering around like sheep without a shepherd: and this is more than the man at the intersection of our busy urban stop lights, clothe the naked, physically and spiritually, and for God’s sake DON’T TURN YOUR BACK ON YOUR OWN – for this is a most grievous offense in the sight of God, and the Holy Family in heaven.
Then, our inner lights shall begin to glow – our heart-light – and we will find healing, and joy and a real purpose in our own lives – our integrity will become solid and when we call out in desperation to the Lord: he will say “I AM HERE” what do you need? how can I help you?
With the Lord there is mercy and fullness of redemption!
Posted by Father Bill at 7:09 AM
FOOD FOR PRAYER & RESOLUTION
LET US GLORIFY GOD TOGETHER using the DIVINE OFFICE of the Roman Catholic Church
Original Documents, Treatises, etc. (unless otherwise noted).
- On The Priesthood as a Compassionating Community of brothers who suffer with Christ.
- My Son, my Son - (my latest bit of original poetry)!
- A day as well, that will live in infamy! MAY WE NEVER FORGET THE DEAR CHILDREN!
- By a Priest for Priests: Prayers before and after celebrating Mass.
- A Bibliography of Works read from 2005 to the present.
- On Proclaiming The Final Call to Christian Unity
- New Created (6/22/12) Personal Priestly Crest
- Parish Visitation Prayers
- Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence - Claude Columbiere SJ
- The Glory of God - Reflection on the Ministerial Priesthood
- PAIN - I read this 50 years ago - and it has accompanied me and consoled me throughout my life thus far!
- The BEST DEFENSE against the perils facing the Catholic Church in our day: a formula for VICTORY!
- On The Defense of marriage as God gave it, and the welcome place of gay persons in the Catholic Church.
- On the Third Edition of the Roman Missal
- O Mary Immaculate - A priest's prayer of confidence to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- O Mother of Grace - A priest's prayer to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Prayers for Increase of Faith, Hope and Charity
- DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME - a personal prayer pamphlet for use at Mass - (recommended, print on 2 sides)
- The Crib - St. Ambrose Church, Richmond, ME - photographed Christmas Eve 2010 (Can you see Three Persons in the Crib?)
- The Crib and the Cross - St. Ambrose Church, Richmond, ME - photographed Christmas Eve 2010 (The is very much a "Trinitarian Image")
- Catechetical Presentation of the Nativity Display at St. Ambrose Catholic Church, Richmond ME
- Believe this...
- REFRESHER: The Proper Manner of Receiving Holy Communion in the Hand
- On Chaste Bodies and Pure Minds
- SPIRITUAL WARFARE PRAYERS - An absolute essential Series of Prayers for Every Christian Person
- On Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
- By their Fruit They Shall be Known...
- FOCUS ON [DIVINE] FRIENDSHIP - a short theology of redemption!
- Modern HIPPOCRATIC OATH - FYI
- On My Morning Exercises
- Trinity Cross - suitable for framing
- Father, Son, Spirit - suitable for framing
- Hell / Heaven - The Ultimate Decision - suitable for framing
- Morning Prayer for Everyone
- Sunday Homily Series
- ON APPLYING THE GRAND PARADIGM
- ON AN ECCLESIOLOGY OF FRIENDSHIP (print 2 sided)
- ON CHASTE BODIES AND PURE MINDS - FRIENDSHIP (print 2-sided)
- ON LIFE AND OUR REPONSIBILITY TO PROTECT AND DEFEND IT (print 2-sided)
- A LARGE BOOK - (scale to "booklet" format to print - or use two-sided printing option)
- Our Life - Now and Forever
- On Christ Mass
- On God's Name And Our Participation in It
- On the Revival of the Tridentine Mass
- On the Subject of Women Priests
- On the Fullness of Time
- Everyone is Called to Holiness
- On The Beginning of Love
- The Third Cross - Order of Spouses
- The Third Cross - Vocation to the Catholic Priesthood