Thursday, May 9, 2019

May 9 - 3rd Week of Easter - Thursday


+ We have two wonderful readings at mass today:  in the first reading we see an angel of the Lord visiting Philip and telling him to take a certain route and no other – and along the way the Spirit said to Philip to catch up to someone riding in another chariot. Inside that chariot was an Ethiopian eunuch who was reading the prophet Isaiah. Philip stopped the coach, got in and said: Do you understand what you are reading. The young boy said no: “How can I, I don’t have anyone to explain it to me!” Then, Philip launched into the Proclamation of the Good News! In reaction, when the eunuch saw water on the side of the road, he said to Philip: what is stopping me from being baptized right here, right now? Philip said: “Nothing” So he baptized the eunuch and a transformed life for the eunuch took root and began to grow!

In the gospel passage we see a similar kind of scene, if we look hard – In this Bread of Life Discourse: Jesus speak of himself as the Bread from Heaven, and he who could bestow eternal life on any who would simply believe it. Jesus then explains the Eucharist to any who were curious – and they were curious and many came to believe. In our day in age, it is the priest who explains to us what we could otherwise not even imagine: imagine this: bread becoming the substance of Jesus’ body, and the wine, his blood. Why? so that we could eat and drink it, yes, eat and drink GOD, not so that we could assimilate him, but so that he could intimately and deeply assimilate us more into him. It’s not magic, but it is very real, very comforting and very powerful, with power to purify our motivations, our minds, our personalities, our bodies. Then we can go out from this mass and put into practice, with God’s internal spiritual battery-boost, what we have learned and come to know there.

Amen, I say to you: I draw you to my Father, - be taught by him, and satiated by me! And you will live happily here, and blissfully hereafter! I promise.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...