Friday, February 1, 2008

Homily – 02-01-08 - Friday

Today we see that not even the Lord's choice selected leader of his people is free from sin. David with whom he had a special love demonstrates that he is certainly one of the children of Adam and Eve – one of the children who is cooperating with the deception that was introduced into the world by the Evil one. David – because of lust – the very antithesis of real authentic and genuine love – loses his sense of reason, loses his sense of justice, loses his sense of true reality. David sins twice – and very seriously both times.

He sins by arranging for the death of Uriah, Bathsheba's husband; he sins by having relations with Bathsheba while she was still married to Uriah!

The responsorial psalm holds the key, however, to today's message. It is David's own composition: "Have mercy, on me, O God, in your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense. Thoroughly was me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me. For I acknowledge my offense and my sin is before me always: Against you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight."

David was truly and heartfeltly contrite – and the Lord forgave him and joy and gladness was returned to his heart!

For this, David can be a model for us! When sin comes our way – which please God should be less and less and less as we progress in a truly spiritual, Christ-centered life: the Lord Jesus and his Father will always offer forgiveness for the truly contrite of heart! And a deep sense of joy and gladness will be restored to the lost soul.

This type of progress, slow and sometimes tedious is what Jesus is referring to in the gospel passage when he speaks about growth into full membership in the Kingdom. There are stages that we need to go through, there are steps that we have to take, decisions of conversion and repentance that we have to make – sometimes over and over again – so that we can become ripe fruit at harvest time: on the Last Day.

The mustard seed is a tiny seed which grows into a large tree, Jesus tells us. The tree is the Church – the birds that gather in the tree are all members who fly to the tree confessing their faults and their sins and look to the tree for the comforting shelter of mercy and forgiveness. Anyone and everyone is free to fly to the tree! And we must fly to the tree because the tree is not going to fly to us!

Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...