Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Homily – August 17, 2010 – Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time - Tuesday

+ The message of the readings today is quite clear – those who pile up for themselves riches both in ego and in material wealth – are bound to be forgotten by God for all eternity. Those who say: Look at me! Am I not like a god! Look at all that I have produced by my wisdom and intelligence; look at all that I have traded for and procured! But the Lord says to such a man: No, you are not a god, you are a man – and you shall die an unpleasant death and not inherit the good things that I have promised my children.

And in the gospel passage, Jesus says to his disciples that it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of heaven. In the same passage, he reminds them that when God is superior in the lives of his children – and when such children give up all that they possess to receive all and only what God wants them to have – then they will be truly rich – they will be truly blessed – they will be the last in the view of the world, who are truly first in the Kingdom of heaven.

May we today – be poor in spirit – poor in our egos, poor even in our pocketbooks – so that all that matters to us is Christ and his reign, Christ and his gifts, Christ and the life he has to share with us!

Jesus Christ became poor although he was rich so that by his poverty we might become rich!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...