Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Homily – December 10, 2008 – Second Week of Advent - Wednesday

Our readings today have to do with something that each one of us can identify with: the desire to have our "strength renewed." It is not always easy living a human life; it is not always easy living life as a member of God's family; it is not always easy living life as a member of the Church founded by God's Son!

And so our scripture readings for today tell us of God the Father's desire to help us: he is always standing there as our helper, our remedy, our friend if we only open our hands to receive the help, the remedy and the friendship!

This, of course, was prophesied in the reading today from one of the most "exciting" books of the Bible: Isaiah the Prophet! There is such imagery, such color, such vivid and real excitement, anticipation and joy found in that book - as God promises full restoration to his people after they had yet again turned away from him! Yesterday we read again what was read on Sunday from Isaiah: "Comfort! I want to give comfort to my people! I want their slavery to come to an end! I want to shepherd them with care – finding those who are lost – and carrying them back to the circle of friends: the flock of my heart's desire!"

Today we have it stated another way: "I want to be the strength of my weary and fainthearted people! They have been through so much – most of which was their own doing – but now I want to refresh them: I want to be their strength – so that they can do things for and through me that they never thought they would be able to do again!"

To accomplish this, there would be One sent to BE the strength; and to OFFER the helping hand of friendship, comfort and joy: that, of course, would be JESUS, the Messiah, the very Son of God and Son of Man. All the people would need to do is to connect to and remain connected to Jesus, Messiah, Lord and friend, and his strength, his grace, his life would be theirs!

In the gospel passage we have it stated another way: Jesus is the One to whom we are to go to have our lives (which can be heavily burdened with labor and trials difficulties) refreshed and renewed. Jesus is meek and humble of heart! He identifies with all of our human experience and he alone can give us rest from the turmoil. He will share the yoke of life's burdens with us – and will make them easy and light!

I wear a very small, almost weightless gold crucifix close to my heart to remind me that if my cross in life is any heavier than it ought to be: it is my own fault and not anyone else's – especially not Jesus' fault. I must carry my cross – and I willingly do it – but I trust fully that he will carry most of the load just as he said he would!

Behold, the Lord comes to save his people; blessed are those prepared to meet him!


 

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...