Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Homily – December 16, 2009 – Third Week of Advent - Wednesday

+ The proof in anything is always in action. Thoughts and words are one thing, but deeds are something else. It takes the conviction of belief to translate thoughts and words into action, or else no one would bother to do anything! Jesus told John's disciples to report to him what they had seen him do (which would be proof of who he was): which was curing the blind, making the lame walk, cleansing lepers, giving the power to hear to the deaf, and the power of life to the dead and bringing the good news of relief to the poor. Behold, the Lord God comes with power!

In the first reading today from the Prophet Isaiah we see more clearly who this God is who is doing these things: he is the almighty Lord and Creator, he is the all powerful one and gentle Father: never forget that I am the Lord, there is no other: I form the light, and create the darkness, I make well-being and create woe; I, the Lord do all these things. And now I choose to let justice descend from heaven like dew from above, like gentle rain the skies will drop it down. The earth shall open and salvation shall bud forth: I, the Lord, have created this. I AM THE ALL POWERFUL GOD! NEVER FORGET THIS! Turn to me and be safe all you ends of the earth. In me is the vindication and the glory of all the descendants of Israel.

May we this day contemplate who God is, and who we are not; and what He graciously offers, and who we ought to so appreciatively receive into our hands, our hearts and our lives: Christ the Lord, the Savior who bud forth!

Let the clouds rain down the Just One, and the earth bring forth a Savior.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...