Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Homily – December 9, 2009 – Second Week of Advent - Wednesday

+ Behold, the Lord comes to save his people; blessed are those prepared to meet him. This is the Alleluia Verse today. It summarizes the thought of the day: the Lord's people needed saving, he was more than willing to save them, but part of the process is for them to cooperate in their salvation by always being prepared to meet him when he comes with his saving help!

In the gospel passage, Jesus tells us in that beautiful sentence: Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest…Take my yoke upon you and learn from me…for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light…for it originates and is carried out in pure love! Yes, God wants to make the real burden of life as a Son of Adam, also quite doable as an adopted Son / Daughter of God!

The first reading from the Prophet Isaiah today tells of the great strength that God is, and shares with those who lift up their eyes to him, to count of him, who trust in him! There is a measure of cooperation here, as well. God will never disrespect our freedom to either listen to him or do what he recommends or to reject such sage advice. We are free to love him and be helped by him, or not!

May we this day of Advent rejoice in the power that is ours for the humble task of asking and actual use. May the humble heart of Jesus be our model of right attitude this day! Amen!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...