Thursday, March 11, 2010

Homily – March 11, 2010 – Third Week of Lent - Thursday

+ Our readings on this day of Lent are actually about power and discipleship: the power of Jesus over demons, and discipleship that must be kept by those following Jesus and witnessing his spiritual powers. Jesus is carrying on the opposition against evil that God manifests throughout the entire Old Testament. God is ever with his people defending them against the wiles and snares of the evil that lurks at every corner against them. It is Jesus who would be the last and greatest defender; the most powerful foe of evil and the true liberator of God's people from all that could harm them. When being accused by the crowds of using the power of the devil to cast out the devil, Jesus quickly shows the illogic of that; but then also uses the moment to make a plea for discipleship to him: whoever is not with me is against me and whoever does not gather with me scatters: be with me, do not scatter: be my disciple based on what you hear me saying and see me doing.

The first reading from the Prophet Jeremiah tells of the woes of the nation that refuses discipleship to God and his emissaries. Faithfulness disappears; there is no listening to the word of God, there is no willingness to take correction: there is no possible help available from God to such misguided people.

May we today be among the true disciples of God, disciples of Jesus, filled with their Spirit as we ask Jesus to cleanse us from any evil spirits that would hinder us from being true, genuine and authentic disciples. If today we hear God's voice like never before, then let us react and respond like never before: with our whole hearts, with our whole souls: let us return to God for he is gracious and merciful

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...