Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homily – March 3, 2010 – Second Week of Lent - Wednesday

+ Our readings for this day of Lent tell of the true nature of the sacrifice of Jesus on our behalf. First, in the gospel passage, Jesus tells the Twelve that he must go to Jerusalem to be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes (by one of them, no less), and he will be condemned to a shameful death on a cross, then handed over to Gentiles to be mocked, scourged and crucified and be raised on the third day. The overzealous mother of two of the Twelve (James and John) wanted to know if her sons could sit at Jesus' left and right when he comes into his kingdom. His reply was to ask them if they could drink of his cup of suffering first. They, in their youthful exuberance blurted out: o yes, sure, we can do that! We will drink what you drink! At which Jesus said to them: Yes, you will drink for my cup of suffering (inferring their deaths on his behalf one day much later), but as for placement in the kingdom: that was not even up to me to decide: it is up to my Father. It is interesting to note here though that the mother of these two sons seems to be among the first to acknowledge the resurrection of Jesus and her own sons', by planning their seating arrangement in the coming kingdom!

The point Jesus made of this scene is that he came to serve and to give his life in ransom for many and that we should do the same – serve others and give ourselves for them and their welfare – thinking always of others first!

In the first reading from the Book of the Prophet Jeremiah we see the forthcoming plotting against Jesus mirrored in the whisperings and plotting of those who were out to persecute Jeremiah. The citizens of Jerusalem were listening to his every word not to become edified and instructed by them, but rather to find some way to trip up the prophet so they could have a valid excuse to kill him. This was also Jesus' fate.

Just as Jeremiah was protected by God, as was Jesus, so shall we be, if we put our trust securely in him – and say: You are my God! In your hands is my destiny: rescue me from the clutches of my enemies and my persecutors. Save me, O Lord, in your kindness.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...