Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Homily – May 5, 2009 – Fourth Week of Easter - Tuesday

This gospel passage today takes place before the death and resurrection of Jesus. The Jewish people are getting very curious about Jesus and ask him to speak plainly to them and tell them if his not the expected Christ or not. Then Jesus tells them: I did tell you but you didn't believe me. The works that I do in my Father's name even testify that I am the Christ, but still you do not believe me. Then he uses the imagery that is prevalent at this time of the year: Even though you do not believe me, because you are not among my sheep, there are those who are my sheep who hear my voice: I know them, they know me, and they follow me; and I give them eternal life, they shall never perish. What an amazing statement that is: the sheep of Jesus can follow him into everlasting life – they can live forever in a home prepared just for them.

The first reading today tells us that it is obviously not only the Jewish people who were and still are eligible to be among his sheep (even though many of them did and still do continue to listen to the voice of other shepherds), but it is also everyone else, the Gentiles, who are now eligible for the full benefits of the redemption of Christ. The faith began to spread and be persecuted because of the preaching of St. Stephen, and because of this dynamic many of the Gentiles came to believe: if something was worth fighting and dying for as much as this group of Christ-followers, there must be something to it. And many Greek-speaking people were added to the community of believers; Saul of Tarsus being one of them. (Saul of course would become the great St. Paul, Apostle to the Gentiles). When Saul met with a group of disciples for about a year, in Antioch, the group was the first to be called "Christians." This group, including us, is still called Christians!

For us today it is important to remember that Jesus' sheep hear his voice and they follow him. If we truly are his sheep, we will know as much as we can about him, and do as much of what he recommended as we can possibly do – and thus be in step right behind him, as he leads us all safely home to the shores of restful waters in the greats meadows and pastures of eternity!

My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord; I know them, and they follow me.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...