Monday, July 19, 2010

Homily – July 19, 2010 – Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time - Monday

+ Our readings today are short but powerful. The first reading begins "God's case against his errant people" who will just not pay attention to the urgings of their consciences, the voice of God speaking directly to their hearts – 'O my people, what have I done to you, or how have I wearied you? Answer me! I brought you up from the land of Egypt, from the place of slavery I released you, I sent you Moses and Aaron to lead you into a brand new life of protection and prosperity. But you turned away from my ways, and thought you animal sacrifices could assuage me, but they do not! This is what I ask of you: only to do what is right, to love goodness and to walk humbly with your God.'

The gospel passage is equally moving: Jesus, the very fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets: the fulfillment of the entire Jewish religion walks among his own people as the great "sign of signs" – as the visible manifestation of God's clear message of mercy, forgiveness and love – yet these people are still looking for "signs and wonders" as credentials from him. Jesus is not pleased and says that because they fail to respond to the grace given them to see him for who he really is, it will go easier for those who also did not see him, but had more of an excuse because he himself, the truth of all truths, was not standing right there before them.

Jesus stands not only before us today, but, by our hearing of his Word, and supping at his table, he resides deep within us. This is the truth of all truths – and he is our Friend – and he asks us to walk humbly with him right inside our hearts all day long – and to allow this presence to make an absolute difference in how we treat everyone we will run across today beginning with those in our very own households!

If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...