Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Homily – July 28, 2010 – Seventeenth Week in Ordinary Time - Wednesday

+ Our gospel passage today is about "finding" and "selling" - finding something really valuable, and selling all in order to be able to buy it.

The most valuable thing there is in the whole world is our life in God. Nothing can surpass this treasure, this pearl of great price. It is one of the greatest discoveries in the world that anyone could make: I LIVE IN GOD, GOD LIVES IN ME! not near me, nor beside me, nor behind me nor even over me: but IN ME, deep in my soul; and I live not near him, beside him, or behind him or under him: but DEEP IN HIS HEART!

Now if this "life" is the most valuable, then the price has to be great as well: "life in God" is a big-ticketed item. But some great news is that God himself has already paid for most of it for us! By the Death and Resurrection of his Son, Jesus, that life in God can really and truly be ours. However, the balance needs to be paid for by us: we have to cooperate in our attainment of this life in God:
we have to sell what we have, and buy the field, buy the pearl, by ridding ourselves of everything
that might be contrary to that life, or the cause of its eradication from within us. We do this by setting our heart on God, his will, his way and then offering him fitting service and praise all day long. It's both as easy and difficult as that: setting our heart on God and then doing things his way, all the while offering him loving service and praise.

O God, my strength, your praise will I sing; for you are my stronghold, my merciful God! I will praise you today; and I will help you in any way I can to do your work of healing and transforming the world – let it begin with me!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...