Thursday, June 4, 2015

June 4 - Homily for Today

In this interchange between Jesus and the scribe, Jesus is asked what the greatest commandment is. I suppose that people of all ages want to know what the bottom line “rule that must be obeyed so that I stay in God’s favor” is. This is not really a trick question because both Jesus and the scribe know what the answer is: it comes from the Jewish Scripture: Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone! You shall love the Lord your God…with all you’ve got! And the second is like it: you shall love your neighbor as yourself.

The scribe complimented Jesus on his response, and Jesus complimented the scribe on his interior grasp of what were the most important idea and action to be treasured: loving God, and loving others as we love ourselves.

And of course the very ancient Jewish Scripture quote itself was nothing new or original: for it came from God’s indelible and internal transcribing on the heart of every person born into the world: which basically says: I am God, I created you, I love you, put me first, others second and yourself last – help one another out and everything will be fine! This is one of the ancient covenants that God instilled into the hearts of the inhabitants of the earth years ago: and it is still there now: may we help others today to know that it is there, and to perhaps lead them to the fullness of celebration of it reality and power which is found in life in the Church of Jesus: where it is all lived out to the full each and every day.


Blessed are those who fear the Lord!

No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...