Monday, May 16, 2016

May 16 - Homily for Today

+ On this first weekday mass after the entire Christmas / Lenten Easter Cycle – returning to green-vestmented “ordinary time” – we are reminded in the first reading, from the letter of St. James, that the “fruit of righteousness,” the fruit of “right living” is “sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.” This is the entire theme of the above mentioned cycles: PEACE. Jesus came forth from the Father to restore peace, where there was chaos; to restore friendship with God, where there was willful alienation by disobedience; to restore eternal life, where there was the necessity of eternal death. The Life, Death and Resurrection of Christ was o so powerful, meritorious and “peace-producing.” This is why Jesus’ first word to the Apostles, frightened and hiding in the Upper Room after Good Friday – was “Peace!” Peace. fellas, I understand! But there is no need to be afraid any longer, there is every reason now to be filled with my peace, the deep, abiding, inner peace that only living in me can produce. Sow peace, now, among my brothers and sisters throughout the entire world. And teach them to, above all, cultivate that peace in all they do.

It is not easy in a world where the devil and the demons are still quite active, to find real peace, where a different brand of peace is promulgated: the base satisfaction of shallow and unsubstantial desires. Prayer and fasting can drive out these demons as Jesus relates in the gospel passage, but the idea is to not let such temptations and distractions even to catch our eye in the first place. This we do by staying focused – moment by moment – throughout the day on the Cross of Christ – its immense power and salvific action – that is always available for the asking! Jesus, I love you! Jesus, I adore you! Jesus, I trust you! and thanks for making peace, real peace available to us all – now for the asking!
Let the words of my mouth and the thought of my heart find favor before you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer!


No comments:

Happy New Year 202

  A Happy New Year to you all! I hope and pray I am able to keep this blog up to date now that we are entering into the New Year! I would li...